Vitamins and nutritional supplements: Things you should know before you pop on
Most of us take vitamins and nutritional supplements to boost our immunity and keep our nutrient levels on track. The majority of the individuals around the world pop multivitamin pills every day or occasionally. There are numerous health products and supplements flooded in the market which are easily available for the customers to place an online order.
Some dietary supplements available in the market include minerals, vitamins, amino acids, enzymes, and many other products. There are a variety of dietary supplements available and they come in different forms like liquids, tablets, powders, capsules, energy bars, and drinks, etc. Popular supplements which we often use, include multivitamins, vitamin D, vitamin E, minerals like iron and calcium, herbs like garlic and other speciality products like probiotics, fish oil, etc., If you think the nutritional supplements can provide a healthy body, then your assumption can put you in vain because certain supplements can harm your body than providing you with the goodness.
Consult your doctor before you plan to take any supplement as certain supplements can interact with your regular medications and may increase the risk for many health problems. Also, shop any of your healthcare products online and place your order immediately by choosing from your favourite healthcare product companies in India.
Is it safe to take nutritional and vitamin supplements?
Yes! It is safe to take supplements and vitamins only if required to meet your daily recommended doses. Unplanned course of supplements can sometimes lead to severe cross-reaction with certain prescription drugs, as toxic chemicals like heavy metals, steroids, and stimulants may be present in your supplements. So, speak to your doctor and learn more about the potential risks and benefits of adding dietary supplements before you fulfill your daily needs.
Do nutritional and vitamin supplements interact with your regular medications?
Most of us would never think about the interactions with our regular prescription medications. Here, we have listed out a few examples of how medicines and supplements can interact. Just read on to know more about it!
- If you are already on the blood thinner “Coumadin”, then taking vitamin K supplements can prevent blood clotting
- Vitamin C and E supplements can reduce the effectiveness of certain types of cancer chemotherapy
- Calcium and Iron supplements can never go together as calcium reduces the absorption of iron and hence should be taken separately.
- Iron supplements can reduce the absorption of blood pressure medicines
- Certain medications can deplete your body nutrients, hence the addition of supplements can replenish the lost nutrients back to your body.
A balanced diet is healthier than dietary supplements?
Well! Intake of vitamins and supplements can’t fill the gap in place of the nutrients obtained through the balanced diet. Adding nutrient-rich whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, meats, eggs, fish and cheese can supplement your body with required nutrients. So, before popping up on the pill, try to shift your focus on the foods you eat rather piling your table with different vitamin and nutritional supplements. Some people have special nutritional needs and may not get enough nutrients from the diet. In such circumstances, your doctor may prescribe supplements to meet the demand.
Things to keep in mind before taking dietary supplements:
- Don’t self-medicate any supplements without consulting your healthcare provider. The following are a few things you need to keep in mind before trying any dietary supplements.
- Don’t take any supplements along with your prescription medicines without your doctor’s approval.
- Nursing mothers, pregnant women and children should take vitamin and nutritional supplements as per the doctor’s advice, as most of the
- supplements have not been well tested for pregnant women and lactating mothers.
- If you get any serious reaction with dietary supplements, you may require immediate medical attention. So, report to your doctor directly to avoid any health hazards.
- Understand your body type and figure out the supplements that are right for your health.
- Invest only in quality supplements to avoid harmful, even fatal potential. Buy your health care products from any trusted online pharmacy store. Just upload your prescription directly, select the required supplements from the healthcare products lists and place the order immediately.
- Herbal products which fall under the category of nutritional supplements carry a tag “natural sources” which are not always safe. Their active ingredients may not always be the same as listed on the label. Talk to your doctor to identify its active ingredients and understand its effects on your body before you opt to purchase.
When to visit the doctor?
If you are planning to take any supplement, talk either to your dietician, a doctor or a pharmacist and seek their advice. Healthcare provider can help you find the best supplements required for your overall health. Always maintain a record of the supplements you take!
It’s overwhelming and confusing to see the number of products available in the market. Choosing the best out from the supermarket shelves is challenging. Gather the information about the vitamin and nutritional supplements you wish to take from a qualified healthcare practitioner as certain information available in the resources can be deceptive. Of course, supplements, when used correctly, can be a healthy addition to your living plan.